Translate

Friday, June 30, 2017

Parsley & Dill Potato Salad

I'm not usually a big potato salad fan. Potato salad is highly variable and subjective! But..I have a very lovely crop of Italian parsley this year, and a not so abundant crop of dill that is imminently going to seed. I also happened to have a small bag of store bought potatoes that were in danger of being ignored until unpleasant changes occurred. The only kind of potato salad I have ever almost liked is the kind with mustard and dill, so I decided to use up some potatoes before they became unpleasant, along with as much fresh dill as I could harvest and some parsley for an unusual twist. The result has been favorably blessed by my daughters and mother, so I will share the gist of the recipe, as I eat some more myself. (Usually, I eat potato salad only once, as a sort of obligatory exercise at social functions in order to avoid rudeness, but this batch is..pretty darn good!)

So here goes, and tweak to your own personal desire:

Boil about 6 or 8 potatoes until a fork goes in with a teeny bit of effort. (you want them firm enough not to disintegrate under running water)
Boil 3 eggs until cooked firmly while you are boiling those potatoes

chop 1/4 cup of celery, 1/4 cup of green onions and 1/4 cup of dill pickles (improvised because I found my dill relish to be opened already, 3 years old and doubtless stale)

Go pick your parsley and dill, wash it and tear it into enough small bits to fill 1/8 cup or so. (If you have more dill, by all means, use it!)

Mix 1/2 cup mayonaise with 3 tbsp prepared mustard (you can adjust this to your own preference) and 1/4 tsp dry mustard

Now, your potatoes and eggs should be done so: Peel and dice your potatoes into chunks. Do the same to your eggs, except chop them a little finer.
Put them into a container and sprinkle salt and pepper on them. If you are shy on fresh dill like I was, now is a good time to throw in a generous amount of dried dill. I probably tossed in at least 4 tsp of dried dill. Add everything else and mix without squishing your potatos. Sprinkle with paprika and quickly stuff it into the refrigerator before your family members eat it all while it is still warm! Traditionally, this stuff is supposed to be served cold but half of mine disappeared as soon as I declared it mixed!

No comments:

Post a Comment